- Food Despensas: For this project, a family can mean a single mom with children, an elderly person living alone, families with the usual complement of people and anyone in need.
On the 15th of every month these families receive a despensa of food. The bag contains the following items: beans 900gms, rice 900gms, oil 500ml, sugar 900gms, cookies 500gms, detergent 500gms, powdered milk 2 liters, sopa (pasta) 400gms, salt 250gms.
- Christmas Hampers: Since the beginning of this program, each family enrolled receives a hamper with donated items such as clothes, toiletries and toys. Each year, all newly enrolled families receive a blanket and warm knitted items like toques, slippers, and mitts. This will continue as long as the donations keep coming in.
- School Psychology Program: Is still evolving and permanent funding is not yet in place. This part of the Chix Food Bank Program has the only paid staff members, 2 who work 10 hours per week and a clinical psychologist who works 5 hours per week. The needs are great and the program needs permanent funding to continue and grow.The two elementary schools in the village have an attendance of approximately 4-400 students and this program supports the morning program at Benito Juarez and the afternoon program at Andres Quintana Roo.
The workshops organized for the parents and children to date have included human sexuality, family violence, values clarification and how to deal with bullying as well as how to strengthen parenting skills.
All reports indicate this intervention is successful and the children are benefitting from the attention and extra support given them.
If you wish to know more about this program and the challenges and successes please email Sharon at email@example.com
- Lauren’s Vitamin Program: There is a high percentage of children living in Chicxulub that suffer from malnutrition. Did you know that if not treated by the age of two, the child never catches up? That is quite a statistic! All children, on the program between the ages of 6 months to 10 are enrolled to receive a supply of vitamins year round.
Who is Lauren you ask? Lauren is a young woman from Winnipeg whose mom is funding this initiative and says “Lauren is really happy to know that children are receiving vitamins to help them lead a healthier life.”
- Well-baby Program is for all babies born to moms on the programand they receive formula (6 months) and vitamins (1 year) and donated clothing and baby toys. The average number of newborns is 4 per year.
- Nursing Home Program where we offer an exercise program, games, music, esthetics, toiletries and food donations to the 57 residents.
A fundraising event is held annually and we are always looking for prize donations for our silent auction. “If you have an idea or would like to be involved in a fundraising event please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org